Skip directly to content

An Angel's Cry

Community

• An Angel's Cry
    July 19, 2012

Hello my fellow Angel sisters,

My name is Ashley Hamlet. I am a sophomore at the illustrious Spelman College. I am writing this letter to find out if anyone knows of any assistance that I can receive for college. Attending Spelman College has always been my aspiration, and here I am hoping to pursue studies in computer science. I am writing this letter to elucidate the struggle I am going through as I wait to attain my dreams as a naturalized citizen. My mother lost her dream to complete her Masters in Banking and Finance, and my father wanted to enroll in law school. Both however, lost their dreams after we had to leave our country due to unforeseen and uncontrollable circumstances. Now as I am one step closer to accomplishing my own dreams, I wonder, will my dreams be broken too?

I came to the USA at the age of nine, and from then until now have always placed great emphasis on attaining a high level of education. I was an honor student all the way through my high school, completing that stage by graduating with an Advanced Diploma. Ever since I was in middle school, I dreamed of being a Spelman College graduate. I would visit their website everyday just to learn about the history of the college and so that I can visualize what my college experience would be like if I attended Spelman. In June of 2011 my dreams finally became a reality and I was accepted to Spelman College. I was able to finish my first year at Spelman however, it seems as though finishing my next three years may not be possible. I worked so hard to attain my ambition of attending Spelman and now that I have reached my goal, I wonder each and every day if I would have to kiss my dreams goodbye. Since January of this year, my mother has been hospitalized. Seven months has passed and she is still sick and constantly going to the hospital. For this reason, my mother has not been working and she isn’t the only one. My father had gotten laid off from a job since December so now neither of them has been bringing money to the table. Despite the fact that they haven’t been working, they both try their hardest to pave a way for me to attend Spelman. The stress, pain and hurt in my father’s eyes, and the sickening pain, and stress that I see my mother going through hurts me to the core. I hate to see them like this and I feel as though it is all because of me and my dreams. Sometimes I sit and cry myself to sleep thinking that the only way my parents will be pain and stress free is if I give up my dreams of going to Spelman. Just the thought of it brings tears to my eyes, but the sight of seeing my parents in such a hardship brings pain to my heart. I feel as though I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I am so unsure of the future and so affected by this; it is on my mind everyday. I wish it were not, so I could focus on my studies completely. Each night I pray and I cry, as I think about how we will pay for tuition. I am hoping to be the first college graduate in my family, and set a precedent that my cousins can follow, being the oldest. However, if I must push my dreams of graduating from Spelman College to the side for my family’s sake then I will. I am just hoping that a miracle occurs and that this is no longer an option.

Please if anyone knows of anyone that is willing to help support a college student please contact me at ahamlet@scmail.spelman.edu. Thanking you in advance for your support and assistance,

Yours Sincerely,
    Ashley Hamlet
    Student (Spelman College)

_OPALsoCHiNKY_'s picture
on Jul 19, 2012 - 12:06AM

Hello my fellow Angel sisters,

My name is Ashley Hamlet. I am a sophomore at the illustrious Spelman College. I am writing this letter to find out if anyone knows of any assistance that I can receive for college. Attending Spelman College has always been my aspiration, and here I am hoping to pursue studies in computer science. I am writing this letter to elucidate the struggle I am going through as I wait to attain my dreams as a naturalized citizen. My mother lost her dream to complete her Masters in Banking and Finance, and my father wanted to enroll in law school. Both however, lost their dreams after we had to leave our country due to unforeseen and uncontrollable circumstances. Now as I am one step closer to accomplishing my own dreams, I wonder, will my dreams be broken too?

I came to the USA at the age of nine, and from then until now have always placed great emphasis on attaining a high level of education. I was an honor student all the way through my high school, completing that stage by graduating with an Advanced Diploma. Ever since I was in middle school, I dreamed of being a Spelman College graduate. I would visit their website everyday just to learn about the history of the college and so that I can visualize what my college experience would be like if I attended Spelman. In June of 2011 my dreams finally became a reality and I was accepted to Spelman College. I was able to finish my first year at Spelman however, it seems as though finishing my next three years may not be possible. I worked so hard to attain my ambition of attending Spelman and now that I have reached my goal, I wonder each and every day if I would have to kiss my dreams goodbye. Since January of this year, my mother has been hospitalized. Seven months has passed and she is still sick and constantly going to the hospital. For this reason, my mother has not been working and she isn’t the only one. My father had gotten laid off from a job since December so now neither of them has been bringing money to the table. Despite the fact that they haven’t been working, they both try their hardest to pave a way for me to attend Spelman. The stress, pain and hurt in my father’s eyes, and the sickening pain, and stress that I see my mother going through hurts me to the core. I hate to see them like this and I feel as though it is all because of me and my dreams. Sometimes I sit and cry myself to sleep thinking that the only way my parents will be pain and stress free is if I give up my dreams of going to Spelman. Just the thought of it brings tears to my eyes, but the sight of seeing my parents in such a hardship brings pain to my heart. I feel as though I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I am so unsure of the future and so affected by this; it is on my mind everyday. I wish it were not, so I could focus on my studies completely. Each night I pray and I cry, as I think about how we will pay for tuition. I am hoping to be the first college graduate in my family, and set a precedent that my cousins can follow, being the oldest. However, if I must push my dreams of graduating from Spelman College to the side for my family’s sake then I will. I am just hoping that a miracle occurs and that this is no longer an option.

Please if anyone knows of anyone that is willing to help support a college student please contact me at ahamlet@scmail.spelman.edu. Thanking you in advance for your support and assistance,

Yours Sincerely,
Ashley Hamlet
Student (Spelman College)

Forum category: 
_OPALsoCHiNKY_'s picture

Im sorry I'm so late. I've been having a hard time with logging in and I've also been busy trying to get this college stuff done but thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to not only reply but to even read my story. @da shy scorpio

Da Shy Scorpio's picture

II'm sorry 2 hear about ur parents. I wish I had sum $ or info 2 help. If I hear of anything I will surely 4ward it 2 ur email. U will find a way 2 finish school girl. Don't worry. I'm proud of u and the fact that u were so determined 2 do what u had 2 do 2 get in2 the school of ur dreams

shop