Skip directly to content

The State of R&B Music

• kristina.'s picture
    (1 year 6 months ago)

Trini Trent‏@TheLavaLizard who told Trey Songz that he is "moving R&B forward"? No, sir. You are the person holding it back. Bitches & the drinks.

Trey Songz has been releasing studio albums since 2005. His first album I Gotta Make It was released July 26, 2005 and has sold 396,000+ albums in the US.It peaked on Billboard Top 200 Albums at #20 and it peaked on Billboard Top R&B/ Hip Hop Albums at #6. The album spawned two singles "Gotta Make It (#87/#21) and Gotta Go (#67/11). His first top twenty hit on Billboard Hot 100 was "Girl Tonite" (#14/#3) by Twista; he was a feature artist. The record was certified gold on June 14, 2006.

He released Trey Day October 2, 2007. It peaked on Billboard Top 200 Albums at #11 and Billboard Top R&B/ Hip Hop Albums at #2. It spawned three singles: Wonder Woman (#54 on Billboard R&B/ Hip Hop Singles Chart), Can't Help But Wait (#14 Billboard Hot 100 and #2 on Billboard R&B/ Hip Hop Singles Chart), and Last Time (#69 on Billboard Hot 100 and #9 on Billboard R&B/ Hip Hop Singles Chart). The albums has sold 346,000+ albums in the US. Can't Help but Wait became his first top twenty hit as a solo artist. The record also earned Trey his first Grammy Nomination.

Ready, his breakthrough album, was released on August 31, 2009. It has sold 960,000+ albums in the US. It peaked on Billboard Top 200 Albums at #3 and Billboard Top R&B/ Hip Hop Albums at #2. It spawned 5 singles: I Need a Girl (#59/#6), LOL :-) (#51/#12), I Invented Sex (#42/#1), Say Aah (#9/#3), and Neighbors Know My Name (#43/#4. The album was nominated for a Grammy. It give Trey his first #1 R&B hit. It gave him his first top ten hit on Billboard Hot 100 and it gave him his first platinum record.

His fourth album, Passion, Pain, and Pleasure, was released September 14, 2010. It has sold 842,000+ albums in the US. It peaked at #2 on Billboard Top 200 Albums and #1 on Billboard Top R&B Albums. It spawned 4 songs: Bottoms Up (#6/#2), Can't Be Friends (#42/#1), Love Faces (#63/#3), and Unusual (#68/#7). Bottoms Up is Trey's biggest hit to date. It is certified 3xplatinum. Can't be Friends was #1 on Billboard's R&B/ Hip Hop Singles Chart for 13 weeks.

Now here we are with Chapter V, and it gives Trey his first #1 album in the US. It also charted #1 on Billboard R&B/ Hip Hop Albums Charts. It charted on the UK (#10 Offical Albums Chart/#1 Official Urban Albums Chart), #18 on the Australia Music Sales Charts and #3 on Australia Urban Albums Chart, #6 on the Dutch Albums Chart, #13 on the Canadian Albums Chart, #36 on the New Zealand Albums Charts, #64 on the French Albums Chart, #156 on the Beligum Albums Chart (Flanders), and #100 on the Beligum Albums Chart (Wallonia). The album spawned the top 40, gold certified reocrd, Heart Attack (#35/#3), 2 Reasons (#43/8), the UK top ten hot Simply Amazing (#8 on the UK Official Singles Chart and #60 on the Irish Singles Chart), and Dive In (#77/#5)

Gold/Platinum Certifications

Girl Tonite (gold) Twista f. Trey Songz
    Ready (gold)
    Say Aah (platinum)
    Successful (gold) Drake f. Trey Songz & Lil Wayne
    Passion, Pain & Pleasure (gold)
    Bottoms Up (3xplatinum)
    Can't Get Enough (gold) J.Cole f. Trey Songz

Awards/Nominations

3 American Music Awards Nominations
    8 BET Music Award Nominations/ 1 win
    3 Billboard Music Award Nominations
    2 Grammy Award Nominations

I've watched since 2005, during the I Gotta Make era. I've seen him performing in the most horrible places. I've seen him having Ne-Yo and Chris Brown opening up for him one year; then, he was opening up for Ne-Yo and Chris Brown another year. People finally recognizes him when Ready was released. People enjoyed him in that era, but thought it was just luck. I like Trey. He's talented, has a nice personality, he was a great work ethnic, he has patience, and he has preservance. I believe he was potential and he can get better. I've noticed that Trey has given people good quality music, but no one paid any attention. It wasn't until he made radio friendly hits that people noticed him. It seems he had to "water-down" his music to get people to listen and buy it.

My question is why do people give Trey such a hard time? What is it that they do not like about him? Why would they make comments like the one above about him? Music critics praise Trey for his vocal ability, but bash him for his songwriting. What do you think Trey should improve on? Vocals? Songwriting? Stage Presence? Singing Live?

Fan talk
kristina.'s picture
on October 9, 2012 - 6:21pm
Forum category: 

Trini Trent‏@TheLavaLizard who told Trey Songz that he is "moving R&B forward"? No, sir. You are the person holding it back. Bitches & the drinks.

Trey Songz has been releasing studio albums since 2005. His first album I Gotta Make It was released July 26, 2005 and has sold 396,000+ albums in the US.It peaked on Billboard Top 200 Albums at #20 and it peaked on Billboard Top R&B/ Hip Hop Albums at #6. The album spawned two singles "Gotta Make It (#87/#21) and Gotta Go (#67/11). His first top twenty hit on Billboard Hot 100 was "Girl Tonite" (#14/#3) by Twista; he was a feature artist. The record was certified gold on June 14, 2006.

He released Trey Day October 2, 2007. It peaked on Billboard Top 200 Albums at #11 and Billboard Top R&B/ Hip Hop Albums at #2. It spawned three singles: Wonder Woman (#54 on Billboard R&B/ Hip Hop Singles Chart), Can't Help But Wait (#14 Billboard Hot 100 and #2 on Billboard R&B/ Hip Hop Singles Chart), and Last Time (#69 on Billboard Hot 100 and #9 on Billboard R&B/ Hip Hop Singles Chart). The albums has sold 346,000+ albums in the US. Can't Help but Wait became his first top twenty hit as a solo artist. The record also earned Trey his first Grammy Nomination.

Ready, his breakthrough album, was released on August 31, 2009. It has sold 960,000+ albums in the US. It peaked on Billboard Top 200 Albums at #3 and Billboard Top R&B/ Hip Hop Albums at #2. It spawned 5 singles: I Need a Girl (#59/#6), LOL :-) (#51/#12), I Invented Sex (#42/#1), Say Aah (#9/#3), and Neighbors Know My Name (#43/#4. The album was nominated for a Grammy. It give Trey his first #1 R&B hit. It gave him his first top ten hit on Billboard Hot 100 and it gave him his first platinum record.

His fourth album, Passion, Pain, and Pleasure, was released September 14, 2010. It has sold 842,000+ albums in the US. It peaked at #2 on Billboard Top 200 Albums and #1 on Billboard Top R&B Albums. It spawned 4 songs: Bottoms Up (#6/#2), Can't Be Friends (#42/#1), Love Faces (#63/#3), and Unusual (#68/#7). Bottoms Up is Trey's biggest hit to date. It is certified 3xplatinum. Can't be Friends was #1 on Billboard's R&B/ Hip Hop Singles Chart for 13 weeks.

Now here we are with Chapter V, and it gives Trey his first #1 album in the US. It also charted #1 on Billboard R&B/ Hip Hop Albums Charts. It charted on the UK (#10 Offical Albums Chart/#1 Official Urban Albums Chart), #18 on the Australia Music Sales Charts and #3 on Australia Urban Albums Chart, #6 on the Dutch Albums Chart, #13 on the Canadian Albums Chart, #36 on the New Zealand Albums Charts, #64 on the French Albums Chart, #156 on the Beligum Albums Chart (Flanders), and #100 on the Beligum Albums Chart (Wallonia). The album spawned the top 40, gold certified reocrd, Heart Attack (#35/#3), 2 Reasons (#43/8), the UK top ten hot Simply Amazing (#8 on the UK Official Singles Chart and #60 on the Irish Singles Chart), and Dive In (#77/#5)

Gold/Platinum Certifications

Girl Tonite (gold) Twista f. Trey Songz
Ready (gold)
Say Aah (platinum)
Successful (gold) Drake f. Trey Songz & Lil Wayne
Passion, Pain & Pleasure (gold)
Bottoms Up (3xplatinum)
Can't Get Enough (gold) J.Cole f. Trey Songz

Awards/Nominations

3 American Music Awards Nominations
8 BET Music Award Nominations/ 1 win
3 Billboard Music Award Nominations
2 Grammy Award Nominations

I've watched since 2005, during the I Gotta Make era. I've seen him performing in the most horrible places. I've seen him having Ne-Yo and Chris Brown opening up for him one year; then, he was opening up for Ne-Yo and Chris Brown another year. People finally recognizes him when Ready was released. People enjoyed him in that era, but thought it was just luck. I like Trey. He's talented, has a nice personality, he was a great work ethnic, he has patience, and he has preservance. I believe he was potential and he can get better. I've noticed that Trey has given people good quality music, but no one paid any attention. It wasn't until he made radio friendly hits that people noticed him. It seems he had to "water-down" his music to get people to listen and buy it.

My question is why do people give Trey such a hard time? What is it that they do not like about him? Why would they make comments like the one above about him? Music critics praise Trey for his vocal ability, but bash him for his songwriting. What do you think Trey should improve on? Vocals? Songwriting? Stage Presence? Singing Live?

Numba1Hon's picture

I too was somewhat disturbed by Bitches and drinks and Hail Mary and somewhat concerned about the outro for Chapter V. I think when creating a song, Trey may want to consider whether this lyrical or musical content will seriously disturb my fans and hurt my image; is this content really necessary for the integrity of the song; will I retain the respect and admiration of my fans if I include this; and what can I do to make sure my fans do not misunderstand?

Trey might not have meant any disrespect or harm and he said as much for Bitches and Drinks, but if he didn’t, then he may want to attempt to convey his lyrics and performances in a manner that shows that no disrespect or harm is intended. To inject some humor: No Trey. Fans should not be left hanging to figure out if you have become the new Marquis de Sade or have joined the Illuminati or the Satanists.
We don’t care if it’s fashionable.

Respect: a feeling of admiration that you have for someone because of their personal qualities, their achievements, or their status, and that you show by treating them in a polite and kind way. ----One Look Dictionary

JesusIsMySavior's picture

I agree!

sibohun's picture

Well all the best to him on his Chapter 5 album.

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think Trey could have been more mindful of the words he used. I'm pretty sure he knew he would get some flack for using the B word in that song.

I think what people don't like about him is that he is very confident. Many people don't like confident people. Well the songs you write tells a lot about the person you are. A sizable amount of Trey's songs are about sex. So people think Trey is one dimensional though his true fans know he isn't. I think Trey could improve on his vocals because I don't think he always prepare the way he should. He puts a lot on his plate at times. I have a feeling he has a lot of songs that he puts to the side to give his audience more mainstream songs. I think he stage presence is on point he has ability to captivate his audience. Trey seems more comfortable with his fans therefore he tends to perform better. I think Trey can improve when he does televised performances he seems to get nervous.

kristina.'s picture

Wow! You were thinking the same thing I was thinking. I feel like, since his first two albums didn't do well, he had to do songs the would cross him over into mainstream or make him more commerical. The songs on his first two albums didn't get any airplay. This way his albums didn't sell. I feel like his doesn't put out the right records to represent himself and his albums. I feel like he performs better in front of his fans than he does in front of his music peers. I believe he has stage fright. I think his very talented and can improve on his vocal ability and release the music that showcase more of his vocals.

Yeah I think that is exactly what he had to do. Sadly I get the impression that is not necessarily what he wanted but sometimes when you want to get success you do things you really don't want to do. The songs on his first two albums didn't get much airplay though there were some very good songs on those first two cds. I agree in the end you have to be true to who you are as a person. I believe he is a sexual person that is why his sexual songs do well for him. However, I think the songs that aren't very sexual should be released more often. Can't Be Friends did very well for him. He has to learn to get more comfortable around his musical peers, because sadly people viewing are determining whether he has talent or not based on those performances. There is a segment of people that think he can't sing because of what they see on tv. Sometimes I think he sings out of his element. I would like to see him work with an old school R&B producer. Someone that really can bring out his vocals.

kristina.'s picture

I agree. I think he needs to release songs that will give people the impression that he isn't all about sex. Blind, Unfortunate, We Should Be, Without a Woman,etc are examples. I feel he is doing things to sell. I feel like he needs to work with people with a little more experience. He needs to stay away from producers that are current and trendy. I hate that people based his talent off of what they see on tv. I do think he can sing but I think he gets too confident and loses focus. I feel the same way when it comes to him promoting his albums. I really wish he would have released Simply Amazing and Heart Attack as his first two singles, instead of Heart Attack 2 Reasons. It would have helped his first week sales.

Right people look at him as gimmicky. Though he may not care what people think but after awhile he doesn't want people to stop purchasing his music because they have a certain impression of him. I agree if he worked with someone that is very knowledgeable about R&B music I think he would go further. It's nothing wrong with being confident but he has to be prepared as well and I think that is missing at times. I agree the Simply Amazing should have been a single that was released here in the states as well. 2 Reasons got into the top ten but it didn't stay there for long.

kristina.'s picture

Yeah. I'm tried of people saying he can't sing, all he sings about is sex, or he is a gimmick. I think if his works with the right people and release the right songs, then people with take him more seriously. I just hopes he gets it together before it's too late.

I hope so too.

Photos

See More

videos

See More

Community

See More

Music

See More
  • params
  • params